Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Nursing
- Health care failure mode and effects analysis.in: Cohen MR Medication errors. American Pharmaceutical Association, Washington2007
- Using failure mode and effects analysis to improve patient safety.AORN J. 2003; 78: 16-37
- Proactively error-proofing health care processes.in: Spath P Proactively error-proofing health care processes: error reduction in health care. AHA Press, Chicago2000: 179-198
Cohen MR, Senders J, Davis NM. Failure mode and effects analysis: a novel approach to avoiding dangerous medication errors and accidents. Hosp Pharm 1994;29:319-24, 326-28, 330.
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis Institute for Healthcare Improvement.(Available at:)http://www.ihi.org/IHI/Topics/PatientSafety/SafetyGeneral/Tools/Failure+Modes+and+Effects+Analysis+%28FMEA%29+Tool+%28IHI+Tool%29.htm(Accessed February 19, 2007)
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Hospital accreditation standards (2006). Oak Brook Terrace (IL): Joint Commission Resources; 2006. p. 255-6, 261-77.
- Failure mode and effect analysis in healthcare: proactive risk reduction. Joint Commission Resources, Oak Brook Terrace (IL)2002
Institute for Safe Medication Practices. ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Failure mode and effects analysis can help guide error prevention efforts. 2001;6(21):1.
Institute for Safe Medication Practices. ISMP Canada Safety Bulletin. Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA): proactively identifying risk in healthcare. Institute for Safe Medication Practices Canada. 2006;6(8):1-2.
*ISMP is a nonprofit organization that works closely with health care practitioners, consumers, hospitals, regulatory agencies, and professional organizations to educate caregivers about preventing medication errors. ISMP is the premier international resource on safe medication practices in health care institutions. If you would like to report medication errors to help others, E-mail us at: [email protected] or call (800)FAIL-SAF(e). This Medication Error Reporting Program keeps information confidential and secure. We will include only the level of detail that the reporter wishes in our publications.
Contributions for this column are welcomed and encouraged. Submissions may be sent to:
Susan Paparella, RN, MSN
1800 Byberry Rd, Suite 810,
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006
215 947-7797 • [email protected]